Nonprofit Board Academy
Nonprofit Board Academy
“The Board Academy far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend the program to any board member, new or experienced.”
The Board Academy is a program of the Nonprofit Leadership Initiative and is offered in partnership with the Leadership Fox Cities Alumni Association. It is designed to engage, educate, prepare, and inspire participants to meet the demand for 21st century nonprofit board leaders.
Why is it being offered?
The purpose of the program is to aid in meeting the critical need for nonprofit board member growth and diversity throughout the community. The program inspires leaders to share their expertise, talent, and passion in board service of a nonprofit organization.
As a board member these are some of the career building skills you will gain:
- Add or expand your critical thinking and communications skills,
- Develop a better understanding of organizational dynamics,
- Improve your ability to work collaboratively and within a team,
- Expand your visibility within the community and provide great networking opportunities,
- Gain leadership experience that you can use in all areas of your life, and
- Be part of something that is making a difference in your community.
Once you are on a board, we want to make sure you do it right!
- Each session led by guest presenter/technical expert
- The program emphasizes BoardSource resources and The 10 Basic Roles & Responsibilities of a Nonprofit Board. Each presenter supplies a blend of curriculum that includes BoardSource along with their own instructional design and experience.
Participants possess a desire to be effective social leaders who are willing to actively engage in issues impacting the community. Individuals desire to share in meaningful service and apply their leadership, technical expertise, strategic thinking, and fiscal integrity. Candidates for the program likely fall into one of two categories:
Recent Board Members:
Newly seated board members who are in their first term on a nonprofit board
Experienced Board Members:
Seasoned board members looking to revitalize and strengthen their competencies in nonprofit board service.
*Read more from past participants here.
Reading and Communication
A selection of articles, videos and resources about nonprofit strategy and board governance will be supplied. Participants read and review materials and post discussion remarks to their cohort as well as communicate regularly with coordinators and presenters.
Putting learning into action is a critical purpose of the program. Ongoing access to workshops and resources is available for program alumni including online access to Nonprofit Next, Board Connect, training and workshops, and networking with professionals.
Enrollment in the cohort will consist of 15 minimum and 20 maximum participants.
Leadership Fox Cities Alumni Association Member: $500
Leadership Institute Alumni & Current Cohort nonprofit board members: $500
All other participants in our service area: $750
Curriculum educates participants on the most critical roles of a board through interactive learning sessions with nationally respected speakers in board governance. Some of the topics covered in each section are listed below.
- Board Roles & Responsibilities (board’s legal responsibilities versus the executive director’s/support and evaluating the executive director)
- Governance as Leadership (building a competent board/ensuring effective planning)
- Fiscal Strategy (ensuring adequate financial resources/protecting assets and proper financial oversight)
- Ethics/Legal (ensure legal and ethical integrity/risk assessment)
- Resource Development (articulating the mission, accomplishments and goals to garner public support)
- Effective Meetings & Executive Director Panel (holding effective meetings/Q&A for session participants to local executive directors)
Sessions are currently scheduled to be in-person in Appleton, WI.
Wednesday Evenings 3:30 – 6:30 pm (dinner included):
- February 16
- March 2
- March 16
- March 30
- April 13
- April 27